Young Driver programmes
Hautū waka taiohi Rotorua
Drivers on their restricted licence are 7 times more likely to be involved in a fatal or serious injury crash than any other drivers. Data also shows that young restricted drivers are more at risk of having a serious crash in the first 6 to 12 months of driver solo than at any other time in their lives. The increased risk is partly due to driver inexperience.
Over the ten year period from 2012 – 2022, 121 young drivers (aged 16 – 24 years) were involved in serious injury crashes in the Rotorua district – of these, 21 resulted in a fatalities.
Driver Directions is a FREE programme to strengthen novice drivers' vital skills for safe driving, held during the school holidays each year. The one-day course is held at the Rotorua Kart Sport track at Off Road NZ in Mamaku. The course is a hands-on lesson with Police assistance.
This course is supported by Off Road NZ and Rotorua Kart Sport Development Trust.
What happens on the day:
Driver Directions attendees will meet reputed driving coaches who will take them through a series of activity stations that focus on:
- Parallel parking
- Reversing using mirrors
- Braking awareness
- Urban driving experiences
- Vehicle awareness - is your seat in a safe position?
- Insight driving - crash avoidance and hazard detection
- Vehicle maintenance
- Road rules and the DRIVE smart phone app
The attendees also get an opportunity to drive the race track with a qualified driving instructor.
- The Driver Directions programme is for young drivers who hold a Learner or Restricted Licence.
- Must provide own vehicle with current WOF and registration, and that your vehicle is insured for the young driver.
- Must be accompanied by a parent/adult/caregiver who has held a full NZ drivers licence for at least 2 years.
Register for a Driver Directions course using the registration form below.
For further information or assistance phone Rotorua Lakes Council 07 348 4199 or email email@example.com
Thanks to our partners and sponsors
- Rotary Rotorua
- NZ Police
- Off Road NZ
- Rotorua Kart Sport Development Trust
- Rotorua Mazda
- Dawson Insurance
- 50Fifty Traffic Management
- St John
- Rotorua Forest Haulage
- Southpac Trucks Limited