Rotorua Atiamuri Waste
- Monday to Saturday: 7:30am - 4:30pm (Vehicles are not permitted to go into the landfill from 4:25pm)
- Sunday and Public Holidays: 9:30am - 4:30pm (Vehicles are not permitted to go into the landfill from 4:25pm)
- Christmas Day and Good Friday: Closed
Green waste can be disposed at the landfill refuse transfer station.
The following is permissible as green waste:
- Garden waste - Grass clippings, tree and shrub pruning, branches
- Wood waste - Only 100% recyclable untreated wood waste
- Ponga - Considered green waste
- Gorse - Considered green waste
The following is not considered as green waste:
- Bamboo - A pest species and can regrow from cut-offs
- Untreated Timber - Not considered green waste, but can be left in the recovery area for reuse
- Soil / Dirt - Not classified as green waste and damages shredding machinery
- Flax - Flax is incredibly strong and damages shredding machinery
A small amount of household hazardous waste can be disposed of at the Rotorua landfill refuse transfer station, and must be declared to Waste Management staff on arrival.
This includes items such as garden sprays, cleaners, paints, glues, batteries and other household chemicals. (Fuel is not accepted.) These items are deemed hazardous and cannot be disposed of in your rubbish bin.
Large volumes of hazardous waste or commercial waste is not accepted at the landfill refuse transfer station, and should be disposed of at a licensed hazardous waste service provider.
For testing or disposal of Asbestos you will need to contact a private removal company.
Tyres and waste oil
Household quantities of waste oil can be disposed of at the SH30 landfill transfer station, just let the staff know you have it so it can go in the right place.
They also take tyres in ones or twos, though there will be a charge for those. They won’t accept commercial/workshop volumes of these. Businesses need to contact a specialist hazardous waste company for larger volumes.
Pricing for Rotorua Landfill RTS effective 1 July 2023 is tabled below, all prices include GST.
From 1 October 2023, the SH30 Landfill Transfer Station will be cashless but continue to accept Eftpos, credit card and pay wave transactions. (Coupons are no longer sold).
|Refuse Bag 60L||$5.50|
|Car / Station Wagon||$26|
|Single Axle Trailer / Van / Ute (up to 250kg)||$65.50||Over 250kg - tonne rate applies|
|General Truck - Per Tonne||$262||Minimum charge $65.50|
|Green Waste / Wood waste|
|Car / Station Wagon||$12.50|
|Single Axle Trailer / Van / Ute||$22||Over 350kgs - tonne rate applies|
|General Truck - Per Tonne||$62||Minimum charge $20|
|All vehicles to be weighed - Per Tonne||$62|
|Test Weigh Only|
Waste Management reserves the right to weigh any vehicle in and out of the landfill and charge per tonne when appropriate (including domestic single axle and tandem trailers). Household hazardous waste must be declared to site staff on arrival.
The landfill payment will be cashless from 1 October 2023, kiosk can accept:
- Credit Card
Coupons are no longer sold.