Rates - how to pay and rebates
Receiving your rates invoice
Keeping your contact details current
Details can be kept up to date by contacting Council's Customer Service by either:
- Visiting the customer centre 1061 Haupapa Street, Rotorua
- Emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or call: (07) 348 4199
Rates invoices by email
Avoiding late payment penalties
How to pay
Numerous options are available for people to pay their rates invoice:
Easypay direct debit options
Easypay options are:
- Weekly on a Tuesday or Thursday
- Fortnightly on a Tuesday or Thursday
- Monthly on the 20th
- Quarterly on the 20th of August, November, February, and May
- Annually on the 20th of August
Online banking and telephone banking
- Rotorua Lakes Council should be set up as a bill payee with your bank.
- Certain banks, e.g. ANZ, require you to contact them to set this up and you will need to provide the bank with the Valuation Number from your rates invoice for the applicable property. The bank will have all of the other required details.
- To set up Rotorua Lakes Council for your bill payment:
- Log on to your bank account
- Select your Bill Payment function
- Search for Rotorua Lakes Council, as your Bill Payee. (you do not need the bank account number.)
- Follow the prompts.
- If you experience difficulty with your internet banking set-up contact your bank's Customer Service 0800 number:
- Note: For multiple properties, it is essential that a separate payment is set up for each property.
- Post a cheque to Rotorua Lakes Council, Rotorua Mail Centre, Private Bag 3029, Rotorua 3046.
- Be sure to include the tear-off remittance portion of your rates invoice so that we can receipt payment to the correct rates account.
How do I apply for a rates rebate?
For your appointment, you will need to have the following information with you:
- Details of all Gross Income, (BEFORE TAX) – 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 financial year
- Personal Tax Summary – available from Inland Revenue.
- Phone 0800 227 774. Please note, it can take up to 10 working days before you receive this from the IRD
- Wages & Salary - (Tax Summary from IRD/employer)
- Work & Income Benefit & Superannuation - (RLC have this earnings information)
- Additional Allowances - Additional to the Benefit e.g. Accommodation Benefit – (from WINZ)
- In work Tax credits, Minimum Family Tax Credits & Parental Tax Credits – (from IRD)
- Gross Interest/Dividends earned between 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019
- Rental Income/Shares/Overseas Benefits or income
- Your Rates Invoice
- Also, your Environment Waikato rates (if applicable)
- ID - Community Services or Gold Card
My income is over $25,660. Will I be eligible for a rates rebate?
Can I apply for more than one rebate?
Page reviewed: 21 Oct 2020 9:41am