The 2019/20 rates (including targeted rates for non-metered water supply charged annually) are payable in four instalments. The due date for each instalment will be stated on your quarterly rates invoice.
The next working day becomes the final day for payment if the due date falls on a weekend or public holiday.
Targeted rates for metered water supply charged quarterly (separately) will be payable within 30 days of invoice.
Discount for prompt payment
Penalties on unpaid ratesIf you do not pay your rates by the due date, you will incur penalties.
- A penalty will be added to any part of an instalment that remains unpaid after the due date for payment of the instalment on the penalty dates above. The penalty will be 10% of the unpaid instalment.
- A further penalty of 10% will be added on 4 July 2019 to rates assessed in any previous financial year and which remain unpaid on 30 June 2019.
- A further penalty of 10% will be added on 7 January 2020 to rates assessed in any previous financial year, plus any previous further penalty, and which remain unpaid on 6 January 2020.
Penalties will not be applied to rating units approved by the Chief Financial Officer in cases where:
- applying penalties would serve to be detrimental to the collection of all or part of the balance of the outstanding rates; or
- applying penalties would only add to what is deemed to be an uncollectable debt; or
- there is a Direct Debit authority to pay the full amount of rates owing by regular payments within the current rating year, and any default is promptly rectified.
- Land is designated ‘Maori Freehold land title’; and
- is under multiple ownership; and
- is unoccupied
Application to remove rates penalty
Current overdue invoices for water supply charged quarterly
- A penalty will be added to any part of an invoice that remains unpaid after the due date for payment of the invoice. The penalty will be 10% of the unpaid invoice and is applied 2 working days after the due date.
If you have overpaid your rates, you may apply for a refund.
Rates/water rates refund of credit application
Council will refund overpaid rates provided a genuine case exists. Council may charge an administration fee where appropriate. Refunds are processed with Council's credit payment run on the 20th of each month.
Back to top