A significant part of the Rotorua District urban growth has been in the form of residential development and land use. The impact on the Districts environment from these activities has been substantial.
The issues that the District Plan addresses in terms of residential development and land use are:
- Higher density of residential development
- Increased pressures from neighbouring commercial and industrial zones
- Pressures from residential land use on the area within the District that are environmentally sensitive, such as:
- Outstanding natural features and landscapes (which includes Rotorua's lakes); and
- Areas of significant indigenous vegetation and significant habitats of indigenous fauna; and
- Areas of cultural significance.
Maximum Height and Daylighting
Any building shall not exceed the following standards.
- 7.5 metres above the natural ground level, provided that the height relation to the boundary standard outlined below is complied with:
The maximum height on the boundary shall be 3 metres, plus 1 metre for every 1 metre from that boundary.
The following yard requirements must be complied with.
- Residential A, C, D and the Transitional Development Zone
- The following Industrial B and minimum yard requirements shall apply:
- Front Yard
- Nil, except where the site has frontage to following Clayton, Fairy Springs, Old Taupo, Lake, Te Ngae and Vaughan Roads, where a 5 metre front yard is required.
- 10 metres outside the urban fence.
- Side, rear and rear site yard
- Nil, except where the site adjoins a Residential Zone or is located within 25 metres of a Residential Zone in which case a 5 metre yard is required and shall be landscaped in accordance R9.2.8 of the District Plan.
- Industrial C
- Front, side and rear yard
- 20 metres, and these yards shall be landscaped in accordance with R9.2.8 of the District Plan.
Parking and Manoeuvring
All Industrial Zones shall comply with the provisions of Appendix F.
All Industrial Zones shall comply with the provisions of Appendix K.
- Maximum area of all signs on a site.
- All Industrial Zones: 1.2 m2 for every metre of building frontage up to a maximum of 25m2 per site.
- Signs attached to buildings shall not exceed 1.2 metres above the height of the existing building.
- Free-standing signs shall not exceed the maximum allowable height of the Zone.
All Industrial Zones shall comply with the provisions of R9.2.8 of the District Plan.
Glare and Light
Financial Contribution for Reserves and Heritage Purposes
All Industrial Zones shall comply with the provisions of Appendix U.