Objecting to Liquor Licenses

​​Who may object?

Any person who has a greater interest in the application than the public generally may object to the granting of a liquor licence.

What is ‘a greater interest'? 

A person with a greater interest is someone who is likely to be more affected than most other people - for instance, a resident living in the same street as the proposed premises.

What grounds are there for an objection?

Possible grounds for an objection might be:
  • the applicant’s unsuitability

  • days/hours liquor is to be sold

  • days/hours the club premises will be used for club activities

  • proposed designation of the premises

  • steps taken to make sure that requirements in relation to the sale of liquor to prohibited persons are met

  • sale and supply of non-alcoholic refreshments and the availability of food

  • the applicant’s involvement in the sale and supply of goods besides liquor or food; or any services other than those directly related to the sale and supply of liquor or food.

How do I make an objection? 

  1. Complete a   Liquor License Objection Form and send it to the secretary of the district licensing agency (DLA) within 15 working days of public notification that a liquor licence has been applied for.

    For more information view the Objecting to a liquor license brochure 

  2. The district licensing agency will acknowledge your objection and will send a copy of the objection to the applicant.

  3. The application and any letters of objection will be sent to the Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority (ARLA), which will set a date for a public hearing.

  4. All parties have the opportunity to speak and to ask questions at the public hearing. If your objection is a petition, you need to appoint a spokesperson. 

  5. The Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority (ARLA), once it has heard everyone in relation to the application, may reserve its decision. This means that it may take up to six weeks to issue the decision.

Page reviewed: 03 Jul 2019 10:12am