Resource Consent Compliance and Complaints in Lakes A Zone

Number of substantiated environmental complaints/breaches of Resource Management Act 1991 resource consent conditions or district plan rules
Number of formal enforcement actions taken

View this page as a PDF(3.44 KB)

 

Purpose of indicator

 
Complaints in relation to alleged breaches of Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA) resource consent conditions or district plan rules are received and investigated by Rotorua District Council. The purpose of district plan rules and resource consent conditions is to control effects on the environment. Monitoring of substantiated complaints in the Lakes A Zone gives an indication of what pressures and effects there are in this environment.
 
 

Current information and trends

 
Complaints about alleged breach of RMA resource consent conditions and district plan rules are received and investigated by Rotorua District Council’s Monitoring and Compliance Officer. Figure 1 shows the number of complaints received each year in the Lakes A Zone and how many of them were substantiated, meaning it was determined there was a breach of either the RMA resource consent conditions or district plan rules.
 
There was a peak in complaints in 2008/09 with less than half of complaints found to be substantiated. However the number of complaints is low and there were only 7 complaints for that year. Throughout 2007/08 to 2010/11 on average half of all complaints were substantiated (figures 1 and 4). Exactly half of the total complaints were in the Lake Okareka area and the other half in Lake Tarawera area (figure 2). The most common complaint received was for vegetation removal (3) which is significant as rules in the Lakes A Zone seek to protect indigenous vegetation from removal. Only one complaint for vegetation removal was substantiated. The general trend shows a decrease in total complaints and the number of substantiated complaints, with no complaints received for the Lakes A Zone in 2011/12.
 
Fifty percent of all complaints were found to be substantiated, 44% were unsubstantiated and 6% were referred (figure 4). Of those that were found to be substantiated the majority were in breach of a district plan rule (figure 5). Most complaints were resolved by a written letter (71%) while the remainder (29%) were resolved by giving verbal advice (figure 6). No formal enforcement action such as abatement notice or prosecution took place in the Lakes A Zone during the five years 2007/08 to 2011/12.
 

Figure 1
Source: Rotorua District Council

 


Figure 2
Source: Rotorua District Council


Figure 3
Source: Rotorua District Council
Note: Noise complaints are reported on as an individual indicator


Figure 4
Source: Rotorua District Council

 
Figure 5
Source: Rotorua District Council


Figure 6
Source: Rotorua District Council

 

In Summary 

  • A low number of environmental complaints was received for the Lakes A Zone
  • In general there is a decrease in total complaints and number of substantiated complaints
  • No complaints were received for the Lakes A Zone in 2011/12
  • 50% of complaints were found to be substantiated
  • 50% of complaints were in the Lake Okareka area and the 50% in Lake Tarawera area
  • The most common complaint was for vegetation removal (3) which is significant as rules in the Lakes A Zone protect indigenous vegetation from removal
  • Most substantiated complaints were in breach of a district plan rule
  • Most complaints were resolved by a written letter (71%) while the remainder (29%) were resolved by giving verbal advice (figure 6)
  • There was no formal enforcement action in the Lakes A Zone
Further information sources
www.rdc.govt.nz
 

 

 

Page reviewed: 03 Jul 2019 10:12am