Christmas processing times
Subscribe to our Building Newsletter
What is a building consent?
A building consent is the formal approval issued by a Building Consent Authority (BCA) that ensures certain works meet the requirements of the New Zealand Building Act, Building Regulations and Building Code. You cannot undertake any building work that requires a building consent without this approval. Most building work requires a building consent but some minor work is exempt under the Act.
When is a building consent required?
A building consent is required for most work including:
- Swimming pools, spa pools and fencing
- Retaining walls over 1.5m (no surcharge)
- Retaining walls any height incurring a surcharge
- Decks over 1m high
- Plumbing and drainage work including replacing hot water cylinders
- Additions, alterations to existing buildings
- New buildings
- Change of use
- Heating including fireplaces, ventilation and air-conditioning systems
- Small dams or other structures that retain more than 35,000 litres of water.
- For guidance or further information please visit the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (building and construction) website.
When is a building consent not required?
How long does it take to get a building consent?
The building owner is legally obliged to ensure that
Tenants and the owner
People employed by the owner
Appointments and Vetting Appointments
Note: A Lodgement deposit must be submitted with your Building Consent.
Vetting appointment times are:
Monday to Friday:
8am - 10am
10.30am - 12pm
1pm - 2.45pm
3pm - 4pm
What information do I need to book an inspection?
When you make your booking, you will need to supply the following information:
- Your building consent number
- The site location/address
- The name and contact phone number of the person who will be on-site at the time of the inspection.
- Restricted Building Work: Name and licence number of the Licenced Building Practitioners notified by the owner prior to construction.
All building consent documents and any approved amendments must also be on-site at the time of inspection.
To book an inspection or make an appointment with a specific building inspector:
- Visit the Customer Centre, Civic Centre, 1061 Haupapa St, to make an appointment or
- Call the Building Inspection line directly on 07 3495646 or
- Use the online Building Inspection request form.
Inspections are undertaken between 8.00am - 12.00pm and again between 1.45 to 4.30pm week days.