Building Work

​​​​​If you are planning to build something new or make changes to an existing structure, there are certain guidelines you need to adhere to and consents you may need to obtain.

Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) - Building and construction.

This is the Crown agency that manages the building control system throughout New Zealand. Its website details important compliance information and provides helpful services, education and information for anyone involved in building activities


Any person who does, or allows any person to do, building work contrary to the Building Act 2004 could be liable to a fine of up to $200,000.

Boundaries and Encroachments

The boundaries of your property were fixed by survey when the land was first subdivided. They cannot be altered without your consent and the consent of anybody else whose property is affected.

An encroachment occurs if a building or fence crosses the boundary line. This is a trespass for which the encroaching owner is legally responsible, whether or not he erected the building or fence.

If a dispute arises, a surveyor can establish the position of the boundary lines. The court has powers to help in the case of encroachments. If necessary, seek your lawyer’s advice.

The Related pages are links to building projects that may or may not require a building consent.

Page reviewed: 30 Jun 2020 4:24pm