Building Consent Applications and Requirements


​​Please note that any new work, addition to existing building, residential. commercial or industrial will require a soil investigation to meet good ground as described in  NZS 3604:2011 Section 3.1.3. If you would like to speak to a building officer about soil investigation as it applies to your consent please contact Council on 07 348 4199.

Applying for a building consent

To apply for a building consent you need to
  1. Obtain application forms
    • Download application forms (You will need the relevant Form 2, Form 2A and an LBP Notification Form) and Vetting Checklist (Marquee).

    • pick up application forms from Council or we can sent or email one out to you.

    • Provide a scope of works: (A brief description) include things like. Who will be doing the inspections if by specialists, what inspection will be combined. Make references to other design specialists like SED engineering, geotechnical information requirements, fire design specialists and weather tight specialists. It might be a good thing to get these specialists also to give a very brief description of their design and what standards they have used to confirm compliance. 
    • Plans and specifications should be completed by a suitably qualified professional to the minimum standards set out in   Guide to applying for a building consent (Residential building).
  2. Complete the application forms  (We recommend a design professional completes these forms).
    • Complete the Application (Form 2) - ensure authorisation and signature is completed (include area and value of work).

    • Complete Form 2A Memorandum from licensed building practitioner for restricted building work. Please note that a certificate of design work provided by the designer must:
      • identify all of the design Restricted Building Work (RBW) they carried out or supervised - a full and accurate description is preferable and is in the best interests of the designer, especially where other designers were involved in the project, and although it is not necessary to replicate plans and specifications on the building consent application form, you must clearly reference your design documents.

      •  state that the Restricted Building Work (RBW) complies with the Building Code or, if waivers or modifications of the Building Code are needed, what they are

      • include the Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) number or your registration number if you are a Registered Architect or Chartered Professional Engineer.

    • Complete Licensed Building Practitioner notification form for restricted building work 

    • Complete the Vetting Checklist  (Note: When completing these forms the page or specification sheet number must be completed in the appropriate column)  

    • Book lodgement/vetting appointment with Rotorua Lakes Council.

    • Once lodgement fee is paid this will start the statutory 20 working day time clock

    • Exempt from vetting - PIM, Specified Systems

3.    Attach the necessary information to the application form

We cannot process your application without the correct information. You must include two copies of:

Plans ( if you are considering binding documents, 1 bound copy (applicants copy) and 1 unbound copy (RLC copy)

For commercial and industrial building applications one set must be in a digital medium compact disc or memory stick.

Site and job specific specifications (no generic)

For geotechnical reports. Refer to Rotorua Lakes Council's Civil Engineering Standards required for building all applications. For more information on geotech conditions please refer to the Proposed District Plan Maps

Below is a list of geotechnical specialists who may be able to help. Council does not endorse any particular consultancy and nor does it imply this is an exhaustive list.

    List of Structural and Geotechnical Engineers 

  • engineering calculations and Producer Statements (if applicable)​
  •  in a convenient place show the following either on a site plan or on the front sheet cover     

              -    the Design Standard i.e. 3604:2011, NZS1170 etc.
              -    wind zone calculation [Please refer to Design Standard 3604:2011]
              -    corrosion zone 
              -    climate zone 
              -    earthquake zone
              -    drainage standard used in design etc ​

  •  sub-floor and wall bracing calculations (if applicable)​
  • E2 risk matrix (demonstrating weather-tightness features)
  • truss layout and design certification
  • contours
  • fire report and draft compliance schedule
    List of independent fire designers

  • H1 assessment
  • brace fixings and fittings
  • any product appraisals e.g. wet area showers etc.
  • application for Certificate of Public Use 
  • fee/s.

Note: If the value of the work is over $10 000, you will need to also include an A3 floor plan with your documents. This is for rates and evaluation NZ.

4. A More Robust Check of your Building Consent Application

The following link is a suite of processing checklists used by Council when processing your building consent application. Much of the delay in consent processing can be attributed incomplete or inaccurate applications that leads to Council requesting further information.

The lost time and additional costs in producing and assessing further information could be minimised or avoided if applicants checked their building consent documentation against the appropriate checklist prior to lodgement with Council.

Checklists are amended as a result of legislative changes or continuous improvement, therefore it is important that you reference this web site to obtain the latest versions.

5. To submit the application

When you’re ready to lodge your building consent, book an appointment with our building vetting officer. We can then can check you have given us everything we need to process your application before you lodge it, which will help make the building consent process quicker for you.  To ensure availability please phone Council for an appointment or use our online Building Application Booking Form to book your appointment. 

Note: A Lodgement deposit must be submitted with your Building Consent.

Vetting appointment times 

Monday to Friday 
8am       -     10am
10.30     -     12pm
1pm       -      2.45pm
3pm       -     4pm

We recommend that you or your designer lodge your application in person and deliver to:

  • 1061 Haupapa Street, Rotorua or
  • Post it to: Rotorua Lakes Council, PO Box 3029, Rotorua Mail Centre, Rotorua 3046

Applying for a building consent electronically

Email your building consent application to

If your plans exceed 50MB in size, please email stating your application is oversize. We can then send a link where you can deposit your files directly to make the process a little easier.

Click here for instructions on how to sign electronic application  

File requirements:​

  • Files must be in PDF or PDF/A format
  • A minimum of 300 DPI
  • In colour where possible
  • Email is limited to 50MB in size so multiple emails may be required for large applications. (Bundle over trusted file transfer may be possible)

Attach separate files for the following:

  • Application Form 2 and vetting checklist (preferred in WORD format, if possible)
  • Form 2A Memorandum from LBP – Certificate of design work
  • Plans (Architectural plans to be separate from others i.e engineers, truss design)
  • Specifications, Product appraisals, Product manuals, Re-site reports
  • PS1, Engineering calculations, Engineered design
  • Geotech Report
  • Onsite Effluent Treatment Design - Schedule 5
  • Fire Report
  • Certificate for public use application
  • Emailed applications will continue to be vetted to ensure adequate information has been provided for assessment.​​
If you need assistance with this process please contact our office on 07 348 4199 (8am - 5pm Mon - Fri). 

Lodging your building consent

Use the appropriate Vetting Checklist when finalizing your plans and specifications to help lodge a complete application and avoid delays in processing. Your application will be based on this check list to ensure that it has sufficient information to be accepted for processing.

If insufficient information is supplied or the application (Form 2) is not completed it will be returned to you and you maybe required to re-book for another application vetting appointment.

Please note a full description of the proposed work is required in the application form (e.g.) if the application is for a new house with solar water heating system and a free standing fire place, please state this.

Consent ​Solutions Department Fee Changes 2020/2021​

Page reviewed: 05 Aug 2020 10:14am