Applying for a building consent
To apply for a building consent you need to
- Obtain application forms
Complete the application forms (We recommend a design professional completes these forms).
Download application forms (You will need the relevant Form 2, Form 2A and an LBP Notification Form) and Vetting Checklist (Marquee).
pick up application forms from Council or we can sent or email one out to you.
- Provide a scope of works: (A brief description) include things like. Who will be doing the inspections if by specialists, what inspection will be combined. Make references to other design specialists like SED engineering, geotechnical information requirements, fire design specialists and weather tight specialists. It might be a good thing to get these specialists also to give a very brief description of their design and what standards they have used to confirm compliance.
- Plans and specifications should be completed by a suitably qualified professional to the minimum standards set out in Guide to applying for a building consent (Residential building).
- Complete Form 2A Memorandum from licensed building practitioner for restricted building work. Please note that a certificate of design work provided by the designer must:
3. Attach the necessary information to the application form
We cannot process your application without the correct information. You must include two copies of:
Note: If the value of the work is over $10 000, you will need to also include an A3 floor plan with your documents. This is for rates and evaluation NZ.
4. A More Robust Check of your Building Consent Application
5. To submit the application
When you’re ready to lodge your building consent, book an appointment with our building vetting officer. We can then can check you have given us everything we need to process your application before you lodge it, which will help make the building consent process quicker for you. To ensure availability please phone Council for an appointment or use our online Building Application Booking Form to book your appointment.
Note: A Lodgement deposit must be submitted with your Building Consent.
Vetting appointment times
Monday to Friday
8am - 10am
10.30 - 12pm
1pm - 2.45pm
3pm - 4pm
We recommend that you or your designer lodge your application in person and deliver to:
- 1061 Haupapa Street, Rotorua or
- Post it to: Rotorua Lakes Council, PO Box 3029, Rotorua Mail Centre, Rotorua 3046
Lodging your Building Consent
Use the appropriate Vetting Checklist when finalizing your plans and specifications to help lodge a complete application and avoid delays in processing. Your application will be based on this check list to ensure that it has sufficient information to be accepted for processing.