Ways to pay
You can pay online or you can set up a Direct Credit using internet banking.
Reduce your dog registration fee
If you have selected dog owner' status, you qualify for a rebate on your dog registration fee. Contact us to find out how to complete the multi-choice test based on the New Zealand Dog Owners' Manual.
What does my dog registration fee cover?
The Rotorua Lakes Council's Animal Control team has the responsibility to manage dog and stock issues in the district.
The dog population is growing yearly and we now have over 12,000 known dogs. Our Animal Services team receives over 6,500 complaints every year. We impound over 1,500 dogs, of which 70% are returned home or adopted to new homes
In Rotorua, there is a ratepayer contribution towards the cost of animal control services however, dog registration fees help to pay for most of our animal services activities, including:
- Providing and maintaining facilities (the pound) for the care, welfare and return of lost, stray, impounded or seized dogs
- Investigation, monitoring and resolution of dog issues such as nuisance (barking & roaming), aggressive and dangerous dogs (rushing's & attacks)
- Monitoring and enforcement of the dog control act, bylaws and policy
- Providing doggie doo bags (collect these from the Customer Centre counter)
- Friendly and professional advice to dog owners and residents, also providing bark collars (for hire)
- Providing dog safety education
- Patrolling public areas, reserves, parks, sportsfields and signage in public places including our lakes all aimed at public education, safety and where required enforcement action
- Stock control on roads
As with any business, there are also standard overheads associated with vehicles, technology, facilities, administration, record keeping of over 11,000 dogs (including the updating of the National Dog Database), staff costs, management etc.