Dogs Online - online dog registration and updating dog/owner details
Ways to pay - online services
You can pay using the Dogs Online service or you can set up a Direct Credit using internet banking.
Haven’t received an annual registration invoice?
Want to save on your dog registration fee?
What does my dog registration fee cover?
The Rotorua Lakes Council's Animal Control team has the responsibility to manage dog and stock issues in the district.
The dog population is growing yearly and we now have over 11,000 known dogs. Our Animal Services team receives over 5,000 complaints every year. We impound over 1,900 dogs, of which 60% are returned home or adopted to new homes
In Rotorua, there is a ratepayer contribution towards the cost of animal control services however, dog registration fees help to pay for most of our animal services activities, including:
- Providing and maintaining facilities (the pound) for the care, welfare and return of lost, stray, impounded or seized dogs
- Investigation, monitoring and resolution of dog issues such as nuisance (barking & roaming), aggressive and dangerous dogs (rushing's & attacks)
- Monitoring and enforcement of the dog control act, bylaws and policy
- Providing doggie doo bags (collect these from the Customer Centre counter)
- Friendly and professional advice to dog owners and residents, also providing bark collars (for hire)
- Education program to school children
- Patrolling public areas, reserves, parks, sportsfields and signage in public places including our lakes all aimed at public education, safety and where required enforcement action
- Stock control on roads
As with any business there are also standard overheads associated with vehicles, technology, facilities, administration, record keeping of over 11,000 dogs (including the updating of the National Dog Database), staff costs, management etc.
Moving to another part of the country?
- advise the council where you registered your dog that you have moved
- write to the council in your new area to let them know that you and your dog are living in the district. You need to do this within 6 weeks, in writing.
Your new district council will add your dog to their register and give you a local registration tag or disc free of charge.
Dog owner change of details form
Involved in changing th e ownership of a dog?
- remove a collar bearing a registration tag or disc from a dog
- attach to any dog a tag or disc that has been issued to another dog
- make a false application when registering a dog
- make a counterfeit disc or tag or have in your possession a tag or disc resembling a current registration tag.
- Offences relating to dog registration can lead to fines of up to $3000.00.
Change of dog ownership form
Back to top
Lost your dog tag?
- Can be requested and paid for online via this site on the Dogs Online section, or
- Can be collected from the Rotorua Lakes Council Civic Centre, or
- Can be applied for via email, fax or post.
Download the Request for Dog Tag Replacement Form below and email, fax or post to Rotorua Lakes Council, Civic Centre, 1061 Haupapa St, Private Bag 3029, Rotorua Mail Centre, Rotorua 3046
A replacement tag or disc will not be issued until payment has been received. Credit Card payments may be taken over the phone.
If Your Dog Dies
Notification of Microchipping
Dogs required by law to be microchipped are:
- All dogs registered for the very first time after July 2006, except working farm dogs.
- Dogs classified as dangerous or menacing on or after 1 December 2003.
- Dogs that get impounded and are unregistered.
- Dogs that are registered but get impounded more than once.