What is a Special Housing Area?
Locations for SHAs will be areas where:
- Growth is best suited;
- People want to live;
- There is room for homes to be built;
- Infrastructure is either largely in place or there is capacity to build infrastructure.
What's happening with the SHAs proposed for Ngongotaha?
What is the SHA process?
- Application is lodged
- Application considered by RMA Policy Committee
- RMA Policy Committee makes a recommendation to Full Council
- Full Council approves/doesn't approve the recommendation
- If a proposed SHA is approved to be referred to Minister for consideration/approval – it goes to the Minister
If a proposed SHA is not approved to be referred to Minister for consideration/approval the SHA process stops
- If a proposed SHA is approved by Minister for SHA status a consent will be lodged
- Consultation happens if required as per Section 29 of the Act
- Independent commissioners hear and decide on consent
Will the public be consulted?
Who approves a Special Housing Area?