Official Information Request - Recycling
Sent: Friday, 27 October 2023 2:43 pm
Subject: LGOIMA request - Recycling
I refer to your LGOIMA request of 18 October 2023 regarding recycling, and respond below as per your email:
- How much does the council spend on recycling per year the last 36 months.
- How much is spent on general rubbish the last 36 months
Costs are for kerbside collections:
Cost Refuse Recycling Administrative Year 100% 52.6% 44.1% 3.3% 2020/21 $5,438,743.56 $2,860,779.11 $2,398,485.91 $179,478.54 2021/22 $5,947,395.98 $3,128,330.29 $2,622,801.63 $196,264.07 2022/23 $6,480,731.08 $3,408,864.55 $2,858,002.41 $213,864.13
- How many bins of the public are actually filled and the average weight?
Kerbside collection: Approximately 80% of refuse bins are presented for collection each week / the average weight of refuse bins collected weigh 9.9kg.
- How many bins does the council replace each year the last 36 months.
In total there are 95,282 receptacles in service – 32,781 refuse bins, 30,880 recycling bins and 31,621 glass crates. Approximately 3.4% of these are replaced each year.
- How much in tonnes of recycling does the council or its contractors have to recycle eg bottles, plastics, paper cardboard including and yo to general rubbish.
Kerbside collection: 5,029 metric tonnes recovered / 16,221 metric tonnes of refuse sent to landfill.
- How many bins of recycling are put into general rubbish and not recycled at all over the last 36 months.
By weight, approximately 23% of kerbside recycling per year was too contaminated to recover and sell.
You have the right to seek an investigation and review by the Ombudsman of this response/decision. The Ombudsman’s Office can be contacted by calling 0800 802 602, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, online at www.ombudsman.parliament.nz, or by post to The Ombudsman, PO Box 10152, Wellington 6143.
Publication of responses to LGOIMA requests
Please note: Our LGOIMA responses may be published on the Rotorua Lakes Council website after they have been responded to, with requesters’ personal details withheld. If you have any concerns about this please contact the Council on email@example.com.