Official Information Request - building consents and inspections
Sent: Wednesday, 14 September 2022 1:49 pm
Subject: LGOIMA request - building consents and inspections
I refer to your online Official Information request of 5 September 2022 regarding building consents and inspections, and respond below as per your request:
- How many full-time (or equivalent) residential building inspectors do you employ?
RLC employ 5 full time building inspectors in the field with one currently vacant; and also a team leader who covers when an inspector is away for any reason.
- What is the average number of progress inspections they attend in a day/week?
The building inspectors average 6 inspections per day. This can range from a siting footing inspection to a final inspection – a different amount of time is allowed depending on the inspection required.
- As an estimate, on average how much time are they spending traveling between building sites for inspections?
On average there is approximately 20 minutes travel time between inspections.
- What is the percentage of inspections that fail or (receive a partial pass) and require rebooking?
The percentage of inspections that have failed and required to be rebooked is 13.28%.
- In the last 12 months what is the average ‘lead time’ for an inspection booking. I.e., if a builder called to book an inspection, when would the soonest available time be that they could get a booking?
2.4275 days for an inspection over the previous 12 month period.
- As a percentage, how many of your inspectors are currently using wireless devices (tablets, laptops, smart phones) to complete inspection reports?
No inspectors are using a wireless device as RLC are currently paper based. RLC is in the process of moving into an electronic system for all functions, however there is no go live date at this stage as it is still in testing phase.
- On average, how much time does it take for an inspector to carry out an inspection and complete a report?
This is dependent on the inspection undertaken however the following times are an average for a standard residential design:Residential final inspection – 60 minutes onsite with 30 minutes desktop assessmentPrewrap inspection – 45 minutes onsiteWrap/cavity, siting, concrete floor, retaining walls, wet area tanking – 30 minutes onsite
You have the right to seek an investigation and review by the Ombudsman of this decision. The Ombudsman’s Office can be contacted by calling 0800 802 602, emailing email@example.com, online at www.ombudsman.parliament.nz, or by post to The Ombudsman, PO Box 10152, Wellington 6143
Publication of responses to LGOIMA requests
Please note: Our LGOIMA responses may be published on the Rotorua Lakes Council website after they have been responded to, with requesters’ personal details withheld. If you have any concerns about this please contact the Council on firstname.lastname@example.org.