Council approves notification and consultation of Housing for Everyone
Today (Thursday 4 August) Rotorua Lakes Council approved notification and consultation of Housing for Everyone (Plan Change 9) which aims to enable greater housing choice and supply in Rotorua.
This is a legislated change to the District Plan that will:
- Give effect to the National Policy Statement for Urban Development 2020 (“NPS-UD”) and the Resource Management (Enabling Housing Supply and Other Matters) Amendment Act 2021 (“Amendment Act”);
- Enable a greater supply and variety of homes that meet the needs of Rotorua residents;
- Achieve a well-functioning urban environment;
- Enable Māori to express their cultural traditions and norms with particular reference to papakāinga development;
- Ensure development is integrated with infrastructure planning and funding for open space; AND
- Ensure that significant risks from natural hazards are appropriately managed in relation to increased development potential.
Fundamentally, the urban residential zones in Rotorua are being amended to better enable medium and high density living, in line with government policy. Some changes are legislated and must come into effect on 20 August 2022, while others are proposed changes that will be open for submissions.
Rotorua Lakes Council will contact those directly affected by the legislated and/or proposed changes via mailouts and online hui. The wider community is also welcome to make submissions.
Further information about the submission process will be available on Council’s channels from Wednesday 10 August.