Te Ngae Road - work schedule for next week
9 October 2021
SH30 Rotorua works for the week beginning Sun 10 October
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency is reminding motorists that multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua next week, as part of the Eastern Corridor project.
Contractors will be following strict industry standards provided by Construction Health and Safety NZ (CHASNZ) to ensure the safety of workers and road users. People must maintain safe physical distancing of two metres when walking/cycling near the sites.
Some delays are expected at times, and motorists are advised to plan and allow extra time for their journeys. There may be an increase in pedestrians and cyclists around the site, so please be careful when driving near them.
Sunday 10 October:
- State Highway 30, Vaughan Road to Marino Road eastbound road closure: Contractors will be installing a stormwater pipe in both eastbound lanes between Vaughan and Marino Road on Sunday 10 October, between 7am and 7pm. Vehicles travelling eastbound on SH30 (towards Tarawera intersection), are required to follow the short detour via Vaughan Road – Marino Road – SH30/Te Ngae Road. This work may cause minor delays.
Work sites for the week starting Sunday 10 October:
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Allen Mills Road (nightworks): Contractors will be applying the final layer of road surface between Sala Street and Allen Mills Road from Sunday 10 to Friday 15 October. These works will be carried out overnight, between 6pm and 6am, and are weather dependent. Lane shifts and some side road closures will be in place with one lane being maintained in both directions on SH30/Te Ngae Road. This work may cause moderate delays.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Vaughan Road: The footpath on the northern side remains closed as contractors construct a fence and complete landscaping works in this area. Shoulder closures may be in place during off-peak times.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge underpass: The Puarenga Bridge underpass is open with pedestrians and cyclists advised to take care as contractors continue with landscaping works through this area.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge shared footpath: Contractors continue to connect the shared footpaths on either side of Puarenga Bridge. This work will require lane closures in both directions during off-peak hours and may cause moderate delays. One lane in both directions will be maintained at all times.
- State Highway 30, centre median Hamiora Place: Travelling eastbound on SH30 (towards Tarawera intersection), the u-turn bay at the Hamiora Place intersection will be closed to allow our team to pour concrete in the median island. Travelling westbound on SH30, the right-turn bay into Hume Pine will also be closed. One turn bay will remain open while the other is being poured. This work will be completed during off-peak hours and may cause minor delays.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera intersection: Contractors continue to construct the footpaths and concrete islands separating opposing traffic. Heading eastbound, one of the right-turn lanes into Tarawera Road may be closed during off-peak hours. This may cause moderate delays. Motorists are requested to adhere to the temporary speed limit of 30km/h.
- Tarawera Road: Contractors will be installing a new watermain between the Redwoods Centre entrance and Awatea Terrace. A shoulder closure will be in place with a temporary reduced speed limit of 30km/h.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills Road to Anytime Fitness: Landscaping works in the centre median, and footpath works will continue in this area. This work will require eastbound lane closure which may cause moderate delays. The right turn into Allen Mills Road for westbound traffic from SH30/Te Ngae Road remains closed. Motorists, in particular heavy haulage, are required to detour via Ōwhata and Vaughan roads to access Allen Mills Road. Electronic signage is in place to advise of the access restrictions.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills Road to Iles Road: Guardrail and rain garden work continues between Allen Mills Road and Iles Road. This work requires both east and westbound lane closures during off-peak hours, which may cause moderate delays. One lane in both directions will be maintained at all times.
Pedestrian access through this section is for business access and residents only as there is no through access to the Rotorua CBD. See map below for pedestrian access routes.
- State Highway 30, Brent Road and Tumene Drive intersection: Contractors continue constructing the raised safety platforms on Brent Road and Tumene Drive to improve safety for all users. This work includes kerb and footpath work. Lane closures and detours may be in place with stop/go traffic management which may cause moderate delays.
Temporary speed limits of 30km/h or 50km/h are in place for everyone’s safety at the above work sites, including when workers are off-site.
Pedestrians and cyclists are encouraged to use the signalised crossings at either Sala Street or Iles Road, and the temporary pedestrian crossing at Tarawera Road.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience and understanding while this important work is undertaken to improve SH30 for everyone using the road.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey. Keep up to date with: