15 February 2021
Following the detection of three new cases of COVID-19 in the community the Government has announced that New Zealand’s Alert Levels will change to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
Auckland region has moved to Alert Level 3 until at least midnight on Wednesday 17 February. The rest of New Zealand is at Alert Level 2 for the same period.
During Alert Level 2 Rotorua Lakes Council services remain open and available however, it is important to play it safe and use online services as much as possible.
This week is especially busy for the Customer Centre at the main Council building with rates due on Saturday 20 February. To reduce the risk of transmission entry to the customer centre will be limited to no more than six people on either side of the reception desk at a time. The doors will be closed and customers will be let in one by one to ensure proper social distancing and contact tracing can take place.
Face to face meetings with building and planning officers are being rescheduled and licensing officers will have face to face appointments where necessary. On site inspections will continue as normal with Level 2 precautions in place. For questions about appointments with duty officers please phone Council’s Customer Centre on 07 348 4199.
Safety measures are also in place at Rotorua Library. Those measures include limited entry, social distancing and contact tracing measures. All children’s programmes have been postponed until further notice.
Safe City Guardians will be visiting businesses as they make their way around the inner city. They will be reminding business owners to make sure COVID-19 QR codes are up and visible.
Council infrastructure and parks and reserves services will continue as usual with staff following Alert Level 2 protocols. All public toilets now have hand washing facilities or sanitiser as well as signage to remind people about best practice for hand hygiene.
Rotorua Aquatic Centre remains open with Alert Level 2 safety measures in place.
Council events teams are working with organisers to assess requirements for activities and events both at Council venues and around the district. Rotorua Night Market has been cancelled for this week. Staff will review the situation daily and provide updates about upcoming events and activities as soon as they are able.
The Rotorua Chinese New Year Celebration that was scheduled for this coming Saturday (20 February) has been cancelled and a new date will be announced at a later stage.
Major projects such as the Sir Howard Morrison Performing Arts Centre redevelopment and the Rotorua Lakefront Redevelopment will continue as usual with staff at each site implementing Alert Level 2 protocols.
Within Council, staff who can work from home will do so and planning is underway for any potential further level changes that may impact Council services.
What you need to know for Alert Level 2:
- Please be patient and kind as everyone returns to Alert Level 2, and if you can do your Council business online.
- If you need to come to the Customer Centre please be aware that there may be a queue and longer wait times.
- Please make sure you are prepared and have any documentation ready to go, and where possible, go cashless and use eftpos, debit, or credit cards instead. You can also drop your cheques in the document drop box in the window of the Haupapa St side of the building. There will be a sign to clearly identify the location.
- If you have questions or need help with online services including Library services, just give our team a call and one of our friendly advisors will be happy to help. You can contact Council’s Customer Centre on 07 348 4199 or email email@example.com.
Further key information about Council services during Alert Level 2:
- Public facilities will remain open. This includes Rotorua Library, Rotorua International Stadium, Rotorua Aquatic Centre, Rotorua iSite and Rotorua Nursery.
- All playgrounds, sports facilities, parks and reserves and carparks will remain open.
- Rotorua Landfill is open with safe operating measures in place.
- Rubbish and recycling collection remains the same.
- Building and other site inspections will remain the same with safe operating measures in place.
- Inner city parking services remain the same. When parking in the CBD please ensure you pay for your parking and adhere to time restrictions to avoid receiving an infringement.
A full set of FAQs regarding Council services during Alert Level 2 is available HERE. These will be added to as new information becomes available, or as required.
The Ministry of Health is the agency leading the national response to COVID-19. You can find information about COVID-19 and how to keep yourself and others safe at the Ministry of Health's dedicated website to COVID-19
Please stay alert to the risk of COVID-19. Continue to practice social distancing and use your COVID-19 Tracer App to record your movements. As outlined by the government, the golden rule at Alert Level 2 is to play it safe and do everything you can to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission. We all have a part to play in keeping each other safe.
Further information and support is available from the following resources: