Enjoy parks and reserves these holidays
22 December 2020
Heading outdoors to your local park or reserve is a great way to pass the time these summer holidays. Here’s a few tips and some important information to make sure everybody can have a safe and enjoyable time in our parks and reserves.
Fire risk – help us to protect our open spaces
During the summer we hope for fine weather but long, hot and sunny days can also mean an increased risk of fire. If you’re enjoying a BBQ at the lake or visiting your local reserve please take precautions to reduce the risk of fire.
- All Council venues, parks and reserves are smoke free. This especially includes forests and native bush areas.
- Open fires are prohibited in Council parks and reserves. If you want to light a fire somewhere always check with Fire and Emergency New Zealand or the land owner first.
- Take care using BBQs. There are 15 reserves that have BBQs for public use. Some reserves have more than one BBQ available. Check the list below for more info
Public BBQ locations:
- Acacia Road Lakefront Reserve
- Boyes Beach Reserve
- Centennial Park
- Guy Rowe Reserve
- Hamurana Reserve
- Hannahs Bay Reserve
- Hinehopu Reserve
- Karenga Park
- Kuirau Park
- Lake Ohakuri Reserve
- Lake Okaro Reserve
- Lake Tikitapu Reserve
- Lakefront Reserve
- Matahi Spit Reserve
- Steep Street Reserve
- Stoney Point Reserve
Be a tidy Kiwi
No one likes a litter bug! It’s everyone’s responsibility to keep our community spaces free from litter.
- Heading out for a picnic or a day at the lake? Take rubbish home with you.
- Rubbish and recycling bins at busy locations are serviced twice daily during the summer but they can easily become full during the day. If you see litter or overflowing bins give Council’s Customer Centre a call on 07 348 4199 so we can sort it out.
- Reduce waste by using reusable bottles and containers. Many Council parks and reserves have water fountains available to refill bottles.
- Busy boat ramps and jetties – at this time of year lakes get particularly busy as everyone tries to escape the heat. If you’re using a boat ramp or jetty please be patient and aware of other lake users.
- Mowing - Council parks and reserves are scheduled for regular mowing. If you think a reserve needs extra attention give Council’s Customer Centre a call on 07 348 4199.
- Public toilets – all public toilets are cleaned on a regular schedule and fitted with soap or hand sanitiser. If you find that a public loo needs more supplies, needs cleaning or requires maintenance give Council’s Customer Centre a call on 07 348 4199.
- Vehicles on reserves – it is illegal to drive a vehicle or motorbike on a reserve unless special permission has been granted. To help keep our open spaces safe for other users, please do not drive or ride motorbikes on parks or reserves. If you see a vehicle on a reserve report it straight away to the Police. If it is safe to do so, record the licence plate and take a photo.
Rotorua Lakes Council is closed from midday Tuesday 22 December to 8am Tuesday 5 January however, some core services will continue through the holiday period.
For any questions or concerns about recreation areas in Rotorua call Council’s 24 hour Customer Centre on 07 348 4199.
Page reviewed: 22 Dec 2020 9:00am