15 December 2020
This week the New Zealand Government shared its ‘Make Summer Unstoppable’ campaign aimed at encouraging Kiwis to do the right things to keep each other safe from COVID-19.
Read the update below:
The Make Summer Unstoppable campaign has begun!
Make Summer Unstoppable - E te whānau, tautokohia te kaupapa - reminds all New Zealanders about doing the right things to keep each other safe.
This summer will be our first under COVID-19 conditions. It’s important we look after ourselves and our whānau over the festive season and summer holidays.
As New Zealanders we cherish our annual summer holidays. We all want an uninterrupted summer — uninterrupted by the weather and uninterrupted by COVID-19.
While we cannot control the weather, we can control COVID-19. Here are four simple things we can all do to keep each other safe:
- Scanning QR codes with the NZ COVID Tracer app keeps us one step ahead of the virus
- Turning on Bluetooth tracing on the NZ COVID Tracer app allows you to be notified if you’ve been near another app user who has tested positive for COVID-19
- Staying home if you’re sick and do not travel or take part in activities
- Washing your hands often and regularly is one of the easiest ways to keep yourself safe.
This summer, many of us will be travelling around New Zealand and going to big events. Shops will be more crowded than usual, and we’ll be going to more social gatherings.
Here are some other things you can do over our first summer under COVID-19 conditions:
- Have your phone ready to make scanning QR codes quick and easy
- You could pack a summer essentials bag if you’re travelling, with hand sanitiser, face coverings, cleaning products and a booklet for contact tracing
- Keep hand sanitiser in your pocket or bag
- Shops and events can be very crowded at this time of year, but try and keep your distance from people you do not know
- If you’re hosting a gathering for friends and whānau, create a QR code for your guests to scan in
- If you’re hosting a gathering, consider holding it outdoors. The more space people have, the harder it is for COVID-19 to spread.
If you run a business, use our Make Summer Unstoppable resources, including posters, templates, social media tiles and digital banners.
Check out our Make Summer Unstoppable page on the Unite Against COVID-19 website.
Make Summer Unstoppable at the beach
Make Summer Unstoppable at the BBQ