22/01/2019 9:00:00 a.m.
22 January 2019
If you haven’t yet found all thirteen decorated trout on the Fish out of Water Art Trail, you need to get in quick to vote for your favourite fish.
The trail has been running since 20 December 2018 when the unique fish, decorated by local artists, were placed in host locations around central Rotorua for the summer. People can collect the trail map from the Rotorua iSite (or any of the host locations) and follow the clues to find them all.
From fairy tales to treasure chests, plastic bags to space odysseys, this year’s unique fishy creations around the city will delight and surprise.
Complete the trail and all correct entries will go into a draw to win great prizes. You can also vote for your favourite fish in the People’s Choice Award.
Coordinated by local artist Jill Walker, The Fish Out of Water Art Trail is an annual summer art event which Rotorua Lakes Council initiated 14 years ago as a creative way for local artists and the community to celebrate Rotorua’s magnificent lakes and fisheries.
“I have been chatting to people who have done the trail and they love that it appeals to all ages. One family had an age range of 9 to 69 years and they all loved it. It’s a great summer holiday activity that families can do together that gets kids out and exercising and learning to read maps in a fun way”, says Walker.
For the first time a smaller rogue fish named Captain Peggy Wetbeard will be visiting different locations over the summer. Hints to the next location will be given so people can see who can find the Captain first.
The competition and voting closes 3 February 2019.
The 2018-19 Fish Out of Water Art Trail is being hosted by the following businesses:
- Artworks, Hinemoa Street
- Atlantis Books, Eruera Street
- Café de Paris, Hinemoa Street
- McLeods Booksellers, Pukuatua Street
- O’Keefe’s Anglers Depot, Eruera Street
- Rotorua iSite, Fenton Street
- Simply Different, Tutanekai Street
- Sole Outlet, Tutanekai Street
- Sustain Vegetarian Takeaways , Tutanekai Street
- The Arts Village, Hinemaru Street
- The Living Room Collective, Amohau Street
- The Rotorua Cycle Centre, Hinemoa Street
- Trade Aid, Tutanekai Street
1. Gabriella Blasoni votes for her favourite fish, Dec 2018
2. 2018 Fish Out of Water decorated fish