Flood recovery operations begin in Rotorua



The focus for Rotorua Lakes Council’s Civil Defence team moves to recovery mode today with the focus on helping people who need immediate support and assistance.

Residents who need help are being asked to contact the Council (ph 07-3484 199) and leave their details so that recovery officers can make contact and assess what help and/or support is needed.

 Council officers aided by Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) and Police will be carrying out further checks in Ngongotaha and elsewhere around the district during the coming days to better understand the extent of the damage.

Roading crews were deployed to Paradise Valley Road and Endean Road first thing this morning to assess access issues caused by slips and flood damage to the road. Both roads are now open to one lane and further clean up of the debris will be ongoing throughout the day.

Until the extend of the damage in Ngongotaha has been assessed, the localised State of Emergency will remain in place although people are allowed back in their homes.

Civil Defence Minister Kris Faafoi has come to Rotorua today and will be visiting Ngongotaha as part of his visit.

What to do if your home was affected by floods:

  • Contact your insurance company
  • Contact Council’s Customer Centre on 07 348 4199 and register your details so a recovery officer can make contact and see what support you need.


Once you return home:

  • Always assume that all flood water is potentially contaminated with farm run-off, fecal matter from animals, and sewage.  Children in particular must keep away from flood waters.
  • Ensure hands, clothes and property are thoroughly cleaned after contact with flood waters
  • If damage is minimal and able to be cleaned by yourself:

-Ensure a suitable disinfectant is used following the instructions on the bottle/container

-Soft furnishings should be cleaned with boiling water and good disinfectant

-Scrub all hard surfaces until dirt is removed followed by a thorough wash using a good disinfectant


Other things to know:

  • Mains drinking water is safe. If you get your drinking water from bores or intakes from rivers or lakes, it is advisable to boil the water first, as a precaution
  • Some parks and reserves may have been affected by contaminated flood water. Avoid letting children play in these areas and call Council on 07 348 4199 if you are concerned about a particular area
  • Continue to avoid excess showering, washing and toilet flushing to reduce the impact on the sewerage system
  • Continue to take extra care while travelling on the roads as there is potential for further slips or unstable ground.

Further updates will be issued during today.


Page reviewed: 30 Apr 2018 1:16pm