How do I apply for a role with RLC?
- All applicants must complete the RLC application form, accompanied by your current Curriculum Vitae. Originals of certificates or awards should not be included, as we do not return application documentation.
- All application documentation must be received on or before the closing date noted in the job advertisement.
Should I submit a covering letter?
This is optional, but covering letters provide a great opportunity to highlight why you believe your skills meet the requirements of the position and to showcase your achievements and the accomplishments you are proud of.
Does RLC accept paper applications?
Online/electronic applications are preferred, although in some instances we accept hard-copy applications. Applying online is the fastest and best way to ensure your application arrives.
How do I find out about the salary?
RLC operates a banding model with very broad salary ranges. Where you are paid in the band will be dependent on the skills, knowledge and experience that you bring to the role.
Can I apply for more than one job at once?
Yes, but you would need to apply for each job separately. I.e. Attach a separate application form and CV for each role. We recommend you only apply for targeted positions for which you have suitable skills and experience.
Are internal and external candidates treated differently?
At RLC we are committed to developing our people, so often we will advertise new vacancies internally first before advertising externally. However once we get to a point where we are interviewing and selecting candidates, everyone goes through the same selection process and is treated fairly and consistently.
Who is eligible to work for RLC in New Zealand?
New Zealand citizens, Australian citizens, New Zealand permanent residents and anyone with a relevant New Zealand visa are all eligible to work for RLC and can apply for any advertised role.
For more information, visit the NZ Immigration website – www.immigration.govt.nz
Are all jobs at RLC advertised?
We always look at our internal talent first for our vacancies and where we need to go to the external market all roles will be advertised on our careers site.
How are RLC vacancies advertised?
We advertise either online or in print, on relevant professional websites, and local government sites.
How are candidates selected once an application has been completed?
Candidates are selected on a case-by-case basis against specific criteria set by the hiring manager. Candidates who rate highest against the criteria are brought forward to the next step in the recruitment process.
How long until I find out the outcome of my application?
After the closing date all applications will be reviewed. We try to screen all applicants within a few of days of the role closing although, for some roles, this may take slightly longer due to the volume of applicants. We will notify you via email if there are any significant delays.
I applied for a role but have not heard anything. What is happening?
If you did not receive a confirmation email when you applied, please email email@example.com and request an update.
If I have submitted a general application, does this mean I have applied for a job?
No. RLC do not accept generic applications – you need to apply for a specific vacancy. We do not keep wait-lists.
What are the different types of employment on offer?
- Permanent full time: No specified end date and working a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Permanent part-time: No specified end date, and working less than 40 hours per week.
- Casual: On-call employment with no set or fixed hours where the employee is called in ‘as required’ for work.
- Fixed-term: An employment agreement for a specified timeframe with a set finish date.
What Unions are affiliated with RLC?
Public Services Association (PSA), Amalgamated Workers Union NZ (AWUNZ) and First Union.
What happens if I am not successful?
You will be notified by email. In many cases, due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to provide individual feedback. If you have attended an interview, and are unsuccessful you will be contacted by phone.
What happens if I am successful? What is the recruitment process?
a) Apply for the position
- Complete the online application form and send us your CV.
- The online application form must be filled out and an electronic copy of your CV attached. Remember to take the time to answer the application questions.
- As soon as you apply for a role, we will send a confirmation email so you know we have received what we need. Remember to check the confirmation email to make sure you have completed the entire application process.
- Make a note of the closing date on the job advertisement as this will give you an idea of when you can expect a response from us.
- We try to screen all applicants within a few days of the role closing, although for some roles with more applicants, this may take slightly longer.
- A People & Capability staff member and the Hiring Manager review your application fairly and consistently. Once they have reviewed all applications they will prepare a shortlist.
- Once the shortlist is completed, we will contact you to organise an interview.
- The interview with the hiring manager is a great opportunity to get a detailed understanding of the role and how we work at RLC. They will have a copy of your application and CV.
- It is highly likely you will be asked to discuss your career highlights and aspirations, as well as show your strengths through a series of competency/behaviourally based Questions that bring out your functional and technical skills. These questions require you to give examples of prior experience, including the situation, action taken, outcome and key learnings.
- You will be sent a Position Description to prepare for your interview, and briefed on how the interview will be conducted. In preparation for this, it’s a good idea to review the competencies provided in the Position Description and think about how you have exhibited these in the past.
Tip: Do your homework on RLC – research our website, recent news articles and any other sources of information, including any contacts you may know at RLC.
- Some roles may require additional skills assessments or psychometric testing Skills assessments may include computer skills, understanding instructions, and working with numbers. These tests cannot be prepared for, but you will be provided with information on the tests prior to taking them.
- Psychometric testing varies from numeric and verbal testing to personality tests. These tests are undertaken to see how you fit with RLC and with the role you applied for.
- Testing usually takes place after the onsite Interviews, but not always.
e) Reference Checking
- If you reach this stage of the process, it is likely that you are one of the top candidates and to proceed any further, we need to confirm your employment history, performance and work style.
- Our team will request your permission to contact at least two referees.
- Referees should include a previous or current employer, ideally your direct manager.
Tip: Please ensure you talk to your referees and ask their permission for us to contact them.
f) Background Check
- All roles may require a number of checks to be satisfactorily completed before any offers can be discussed. The specific background checks needed for each role will be discussed with you as part of the process. Eg. Driver check.
- Sometimes background check results are not confirmed until after employment has started. Please note that any information obtained will be checked with you for accuracy, but be aware that if you have not given RLC information that is relevant to the background checks or your general suitability for employment, or if you have provided misleading or false information, then this may be grounds for dismissal without notice.
Tip: Remember to regularly check your email and phone messages as there are a number of documents we need you to complete.
g) Job Offer
Once the hiring manager has made a final decision, you will be contacted to discuss the details of an offer. Salary, benefits, start date and any other details will be clarified so that you can make a final decision.
A pack including all of your pre-employment documents will be sent in hard copy for you to review, sign and return to RLC.
What happens if I am unable to attend my interview or want to withdraw my application?
You must contact the recruitment team as soon as possible. If you are unable to attend your interview due to unforeseen circumstances, we will try and reschedule.
Can I bring a support person to my interview?
Yes, we allow you to bring support to your interview. Prior to the interview date, you must advise the number of people attending.
What should I bring to the interview?
A great attitude and plenty of examples to discuss. You will be advised if there is anything specific you need to bring.
When will I receive an offer of employment?
We will contact you to discuss aspects including location, salary/wage, and possible start dates, with you over the telephone or by email. Any job offer will only be made after reference checks are completed. You will be given a written offer and agreement which will include other information required for you to make an informed decision.
Who covers the cost for travel to interviews?
Unless otherwise stated, candidates would be expected to cover any costs associated with attending their interview.
Who will I be dealing with during the recruitment process?
- People & Capability staff – they are responsible for advertising jobs and reviewing applications. They will also conduct referee checks and book the following processes: hiring manager interviews, and if required psychometric testing, skills-based assessments, and any pre-employment checks
- Hiring Managers – conduct the interviews and will make the recruitment decision in conjunction with the panel.
Will I be required to undertake testing as part of the recruitment process?
Depending on the role, you may be asked to complete a series of skills-based assessments or psychometric assessments. We will advise you if this is to be the case. Refer to the Recruitment Process.
All Other Enquiries
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org