Pukaki, the carved representation of a Ngati Whakaue ancestor stands at the Rotorua Museum.
The Return of Pukaki to Ngati Whakaue
Memorandum of Understanding
- Wihapi Te Amohau Winiata, on behalf of the people of Ngati Whakaue,
- The Honourable Doug Graham on behalf of the Crown
- Mr Peter Menzies, on behalf of the Auckland Museum Trust Board
- His Worship The Mayor Mr Grahame Hall, on behalf of the Rotorua Lakes Council
The trust deed specifies the trustees of the Pukaki Trust shall be;
- Tamati Coffey MP (Chair on behalf of the Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage)
- Dr Paora Tapsell (Ngāti Whakaue representative)
- Steve Chadwick (Mayor of Rotorua)
- Dr William Randall (Auckland War Memorial Museum representative).
The Trust’s main function is to ensure the safe-keeping, conservation and maintenance of Pukaki.