The Gifted Reserves Protocol Committee
Rotorua Township - Historical overview
- That the land would not be sold
- That 99 year leases would be granted. During that time the Maori owners would receive substantial and perpetual income.
- That the land would return to the people after the expiration of the leases.
- That Ngati Whakaue would set aside reserve inthe town for recreation sanatoriums, railways, hospitals etc.
- That the Crown would control the thermal waters with the consent of Ngati Whakaue
On September 1881 the Thermal Springs Districts Act incorporating the Fenton Agreement became law. Following this, on 12 October 1881, a proclamation defined the Pukeroa-Oruawhata Block as a district, effectively creating the township of Rotorua.
Provision of Reserves in the Township
The Gifted Lands Protocol Agreement Today