Candidate nominations open on 19 July and close on 16 August 2019
To stand for council, you must be:
- a New Zealand citizen
- aged over 18
- enrolled on the electoral roll
There are no special qualifications required to stand for council.
Elected members come from all backgrounds and walks of life; they may be parents, students, business people, or self-employed. An effective elected member will bring a broad range of skills to the role, such as
- decision making and strategic thinking
- communication and community engagement
- relationship building and collaboration
How to stand for council
- Complete a nomination form before 16 August 2019.
- Get two people to nominate you. These people must be over 18 and enrolled to vote in the area you wish to stand in.
- Provide a deposit of $200. This may be refunded, depending on how many votes you receive.
- Learn about how council works and your roles and responsibilities if elected.
Candidate Information Evening 1 August 2019 5pm Council Chamber -
Presentation titled "2019 Elections for Rotorua Lakes Council" by Warwick Lampp - Chief Electoral Officer - Election.com
Nomination forms are available to download below. Our Candidate Booklet provides general guidelines for candidates and will help you through the nomination process.
Regulations around campaigning
There are regulations around campaigning, including what can be spent and how and when signage can be displayed. For full details, see The Local Electoral Act 2001 on the Legislation website.