Future Development Strategy
What is the Future Development Strategy (FDS)
The Future Development Strategy (FDS) will form the basis for integrated, strategic and long-term planning for our district. These types of plans are also known as spatial plans. They help local authorities set the high-level vision for accommodating urban growth over the long term and identify strategic priorities to inform other development-related decisions, such as:
- district plan zoning and related plan changes
- priority outcomes in long-term plans and infrastructure strategies, including decisions on funding and financing
- priorities and decisions in regional land transport plans.
Rotorua’s FDS will consider and assess growth and development over the next 30 years. The FDS is a longer-term project than the Housing Plan Change and is currently in the initial stages. It is anticipated that the FDS will be completed in time to inform our next Long Term Plan (LTP) in 2024.
Where to get more details
- Housing intensification enabled by the RMA Amendment Act
- Medium density residential standards fact sheet
- Understanding the RMA (Enabling Housing Supply and other Matters) Amendment Act 2021: General overview
- Intensification streamlined planning process
Contact the Rotorua Lakes Council Policy team via email at email@example.com