Tuia 2022 application form
Tuia 2022 application form (Word document)
The Tuia kaupapa is an intentional approach to develop and enhance the way in which rangatahi Māori contribute to the communities they live in.
The kaupapa is free, and focused on creating a network of support for rangatahi to help them serve their communities well. Tuia provides an opportunity to develop relationships with a diverse range of rangatahi throughout Aotearoa.
At a local level, the mayor will select two Tuia representatives and will mentor them on a monthly basis. The rangatahi will be provided with the opportunity to participate in both informal and formal occasions that interest them. The mentoring will also provide the mayor and the rangatahi the ability to gain a deeper insight into inter-generational issues, cultural values and experiences.
The Tuia representatives for 2022 will be expected to undertake a 100-hour community contribution project in their respective communities. Rangatahi will also attend five wānanga in different parts of the country over the year to build networks, obtain support and receive exposure to a diverse range of people from across the country.
The word 'tuia' means to weave and when people are woven together well, their collective contribution has a greater positive impact on community. The Tuia kaupapa seeks to embody this by connecting young Māori from across Aotearoa with one another.
Those who apply to participate in Tuia should:
- Be of Māori whakapapa
- Live in the Rotorua district
- Be aged between 18-25 years old
- Be actively involved in contributing to the wellbeing of your community
- Be able to commit to being involved in this part-time programme of three, three-day and two four-day wānanga (leadership forum) over a period of 12 months
- Be able to get support from others to participate in the programme (whānau/hapū/pakeke/employers/community etc.)
- Be open-minded and willing to contribute to discussions and workshops
- Be well-organised and have the ability to manage your time and commitments
The new application round for 2022 is now open and closes on Friday 12 November 2021.