The Treasure Rotorua Safe Community Project
This diagram shows the priority safety areas that have been identified for Rotorua:
Benefits of the project for Rotorua
- Organisations working better together to provide effective safety programmes for our community.
- Increased safety promotion and education.
- Fewer injuries, fatalities and crime.
- Rotorua will have access to national and international safety networks and best practice information, which will help us to put effective safety programmes in place.
- Appeal to both national and international travellers - Rotorua will be seen as a good place to visit because the designation shows we are committed to improving safety in our community.
- It gives us an opportunity to recognise the great work that many in the community are already doing in the area of safety.
- Recorded crime in Rotorua decreased by 24% including a 10% decrease in dwelling burglaries, a 7% decrease in theft from cars and a 24% decrease in sexual offences.
- A 50% reduction in vehicle crime at the RLC/DoC controlled car parks was achieved as a result of CPTED assessments and implementation of recommendations.
- There was a 50% reduction in the number of visitors as victims of vehicle crime as a result of the Project Papa Waka.
International Safe Community designation does not imply that Rotorua is perfectly safe but that we are committed to making Rotorua as safe as possible for our residents and many visitors.
For more information contact Treasure Rotorua Coordinator at Rotorua Lakes Council, Chris Webber on 07 351-8089, email firstname.lastname@example.org or http://saferotorua.weebly.com/