Ongoing revitalisation and improvement of Rotorua's central city has been a Council priority for a number of years now. Council recognises that a vibrant and exciting inner city is a major factor in attracting people, activities, events and development to the district.
Creating Te Manawa and refreshing the old City Focus was one of the key issues within the inner city that retailers highlighted to Council back in October 2013.
One of Vision 2030's priorities is to create a vibrant city heart.
- Click here to view the time-line for change.
- Click here to view the latest Te Manawa update at 12 October
- Click here to view artist impressions of what the new space will look like
The development of Te Manawa - The Heart of the City was completed in October 2017
Click to enlarge image
Putting People first
Click to enlarge image.
CLICK HERE - Find out how Council made the decision to change the former City Focus to Te Manawa
CLICK HERE - Find out how a Shared Zone works
CLICK HERE - Learn about the cultural design elements in Te Manawa
More about Te Manawa
Rotorua's Inner City Revitalisation Strategy was highly commended at the 2015 LGNZ Awards. Read more about the 2015 LGNZ EXCELLENCE Awards
Read magazine articles related to our City Focus Refresh:
- New Zealand Construction News - Apr/May 2016 issue Inner-city revitalisation partnership announced for Rotorua (PDF 221kb)
- Local Government New Zealand magazine - May 2016 issue Wood first - Carving out a future for communities (PDF 516kb)