About this portfolio
Sport and Recreation Strategy
The Rotorua Sport and Recreation Strategy (PDF 856KB) sets out an exciting plan for achieving the Rotorua 2030 goal of ‘outstanding places to play’. It reflects Rotorua’s environmental and cultural strengths, builds on our opportunities and is aligned with Council directions.
A steering group was formed in October 2014 comprising a wide range of local sport and recreation perspectives. Major community engagement was used to seek community perspectives on key areas for development.
Other work completed or underway includes the following:
- Strategy development commenced February 2015
- Progressing the Kuirau Park redevelopment; including cycleway/boulevard and supporting the green corridor and drinking fountain projects.
- Aquatic Centre - The Kuirau Park redevelopment project has included the development of a strong business case for public/private investment in the aquatic centre. The intention through external investment would be to create a major family friendly attraction that would support our local community and be a must do attraction for visitors to the district.
- Mamaku youth space project. Construction has now been completed in partnership with local community.Rotorua Sport and Recreation Strategy to set the direction for sport and recreation in Rotorua completed.
- Spaces and Places review underway to identify gaps between current and future sport and recreation infrastructure requirements.
- Council supports Mamaku community to develop new youth space.
- Urban Cycling Strategic Plan completed and Cyway routes under construction.
Portfolio Lead Councillor - Cr Charles Sturt, assisted by Cr Raj Kumar
Council contact person
Andrew Wilson - Senior Lead Advisor
Phone: 07 351 8122